Monday, March 21, 2016

Barry the Saint Bernard - Hero Dog Saves Over 40 Lives!

Hello readers (and dog lovers)!

This week our 3rd grade book club members are meeting to discuss the third book in Kate Klimo's Dog Diaries series entitled Barry.

I'm Barry. People
say I saved over forty
lives. Many call me a hero,
but I just think of myself as a dog
who loved the snow - to walk in it, to roll
in it, and to search for people buried under it.


Based on a true story, Barry der Menschenretter, a Saint Bernard dog, reflects back on his life in the early 1800s at the Hospice of the Great Saint Bernard in the Swiss Alps, where he rescued some forty people from avalanches. In addition, this book includes facts about the Saint Bernard breed and the hospice (pictured here).
To preview our discussion questions, click here. Visit the Grade 3 page to learn more about author Kate Klimo, Saint Bernards, and the amazing Great Saint Bernard Hospice which is still in operation today in Switzerland. (I think I see a hiking trip for me in the future.)

Happy reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment