Monday, November 14, 2016

Kid Campaigns to be President of YOU-nited States

Hello Readers!

This week 4th and 5th graders are meeting in collaboration to discuss The Kid Who Ran for President by Dan Gutman. Could a kid really run for president? Could a kid really become president? Are there any similarities between this book and real life? Meet the candidate: Judson Moon.


"Hi! My name is Judson Moon. I'm twelve years old and I'm running for President of the YOU-nited States." That's how I introduced myself to about a zillion people. I must have kissed a zillion babies, said a zillion hellos, shaken a zillion hands . . . Will I get a zillion votes? The answer might surprise you.

Can you picture a kid as President? Imagine what we can accomplish -- together -- in a country where parents listen. Where teachers give no homework. Where every lawmaker obeys a single kid -- me! How am I going to pull this off? Who knows! Read the book to find out.


Gutman's book is a fast-paced page turner that is a funny read and cleverly disguises a helpful dose of factual information to help the reader understand the election process in the US. To preview discussion questions, click here. Please visit the Grade 4 page or the Grade 5 page to find out more about author Dan Gutman and the books he has written. You will also find links to the website for the real Kid President.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment